On April 14, 2014, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) proposed that the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 2012 editions of the Life Safety Code (LSC) and Health Care Facilities Code (HCFC) be used. The current edition being used is the 2000 edition. The key changes that would go into place with the adoption of the 2012 edition impacting LTC facilities include:
- Increasing suite sizes
- Requiring high-rise buildings over 75’ to be fully sprinklered within 12 years
- Allowing controlled access doors to prevent wandering residents
- Addressing issues related to alcohol-based hand sanitizers in corridors and resident rooms
- Requiring a fire watch or building evacuation if sprinkler system in building is not working for more than 4 hours
- Requiring smoking control in anesthetizing locations
The proposed rule will be published in the April 16, 2014 Federal Register. The deadline for comments is June 16, 2014.