From the Department of Health and Human Services:
With the July 2013 List of Excluded Individuals and Entities (LEIE) update, OIG continues the transition to the upgraded Online Exclusions Database and the LEIE Downloadable Databases. In June 2013, OIG added new information to the LEIE — the National Provider Identifier, a Waiver, and Waiver State. Also, the online search of the LEIE has been redesigned. Important notices related to these changes include:
- From June 2013 through August 2013, OIG will post Downloadable LEIE Files without the new fields and files with the new fields. This will allow users time to work with the new fields while still having access to the files to which they are accustomed. In September 2013, only the file with the new fields will be available.
- This month, OIG begins offering the monthly supplement files with the new fields. However, OIG strongly recommends that users download the entire LEIE Database with the three new fields at least once during the transition period from June to August 2013. The Monthly Supplement files only contain information about new exclusions or reinstatements that occurred in a single month. It does not – and will not – offer NPI and Waiver information for the thousands of records already in the LEIE before the latest LEIE upgrade.
- OIG now only archives monthly supplement files for the previous 12 months. Older material is no longer available on the website or via phone call to Exclusions staff, although the Downloadable LEIE gives users the latest information on excluded individuals or entities. The Monthly Supplement files dated May 2013 or before will not include the National Provider Identifier and Waiver fields.
- Instructional videos explaining how to use the online database and the downloadable files are now available.
- OIG has added NPIs to LEIE records starting in 2008 and will include NPIs in LEIE records on a forward-going basis.
- Please note that not every individual or entity that is excluded has an NPI to add. Therefore, many records will not include information in the NPI field.