This week’s Ftag of the week is F758 Free from Unnecessary Psychotropic Meds / PRN use, which is the existing F329 Unnecessary Drugs . . . but expanded upon. Since F329 Unnecessary Drugs is always one of the most frequently cited deficiencies across the country, it’s important to understand the nuances of this requirement for Phase 2.
F758 states that:
- Residents who have not used psychotropic drugs are not given these drugs unless med is necessary to treat a specific condition as diagnosed and documented in the clinical record;
- Residents who use psychotropic drugs receive GDRs, and behavioral interventions, unless clinically contraindicated, in an effort to discontinue.
There is additional information regarding PRN psychotropic medications and antipsychotics that clearly outline the requirements:
- Residents do not receive PRN psychotropic drugs unless med is necessary to treat a diagnosed specific condition that is documented in the clinical record
- PRN orders for psychotropic drugs are limited to 14 days. If order needs to be extended, physician should document their rationale in the medical record and indicate the duration
- PRN orders for antipsychotic drugs are limited to 14 days. Orders cannot be renewed unless physician evaluates the resident for continued appropriateness of med
We’ll be back next week with another “Ftag of the Week” post. You can view the rest of the Ftags we’ve reviewed at by looking here, which include:
- F557 Respect, Dignity / Right to have Personal Property
- F803 Menus Meet Resident Needs / Prep in Advance / Followed
- F678 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- F561 Self-Determination
- F851 Payroll-Based Journal