Services that have been providing alternatives to institutional care have been on the rise recently, and Medicaid has provided a final rule that will ensure that these home and community-based programs are available to aging adults. The final rule will be published in the Federal Register on January 16, 2014, establishes the requirements for HCBS in Medicaid programs going forward.
Key provisions of this rule include:
- Establishes a requirement for HCBS
- Defines person-centered planning requirements for these services
- Gives states options for combining populations into one waiver to ease administration
- Provides information on amendment timing and when public commentary will be required if modifications are proposed
- Gives CMS additional compliance options for HCBS programs
This rule will go into effect on March 17, 2014. CMS is providing states with a one-year transition window to ensure they are compliant with the rule and its requirements.